Friday 1 March 2013


OSCAR BARILA

Hi Oscar,

Its nice to meet you! I heard several stories about you but didn’t know exactly who you are… let’s give our readers an inside of your career!

Last april you released your album on Plastic City – Parallel Minds.  It’s really nice!  In the meanwhile your making music for a pretty long time, right? Is your style changed since you began  producing EDM?
Hello! Nice to meet you too! And thanks a lot for your nice words about my album!

I have been making music for about 6 years and playing about 14 years. Since the beginning, I have always been a very eclectic artist.I remember that one crazy night could start with a dj set in a tech house club, then in the morning, I played techno at a rave and afterwards I went to an after hour to play some deep house.

I still continue with this flexibility of styles. We could say that I have two sides, a deep one and a dancefloor one. Some artists prefer to use different names for each style, but I decided to always use the same name… Because it is actually how I am, flexible and open-minded.  About the album, we could say that it  is a mix of my both sides; deepness & elegance, but also groove.

 I heard through the grapevine that you  are also a fan or rockmusic? Why did your choose for techno and not the rockscene?
I didn’t choose techno, techno choose me!!! hahaha. No seriously, I’m actually a lot into rock and indie music. I always have listened a lot of rock at home, I often go party to rock clubs and I still play indie music under my alias New Faker dj.

Last year I  was resident dj in a pair of indie clubs and played in  some others very often. New faker dj is my relief from so many synths and 4/4 beats of my day by day routine. I still  love rock!

Who or what inspired you to produce House & tech-house?
I the beginning I was really inspired by artists such as Luke Slater, Laurent Garnier, Aphex Twin,Jeff Mills, Kevin Saunderson and many others. Nowadays my biggest influence is my own environment. I know it may sound a bit pedantic, but it is the thruth…I feel inspired by my feelings, travels, cities, parties, girls, films, and yes also by a lot of music… There are many things that can inspire you, don’t you think?

You released your album in April but can you explain me the titel of your album Parallel minds? Where did that came from?
The title of the album and all the artwork is based on quantum physics, that’s why the cover design has fractals. I believe a bit in the idea that we are all connected in some way. Sometimes when you have a lot of connections with someone and the thoughts of both walk in the same way,  we could say you have  Parallel Minds


Music-wise there is a lot variaty in your album from vocal-heavy, big room house, individually and together…But what is the typical Oscar sound? How can you define your music?
It can be deep house, tech-house, disco or merengue. But it is always going to be groovy.

 You have been playing twice in the Netherlands. Is there a big difference between the Dutch public than for example the Spanish crowd?
Spanish public can be very good, but I must recognize that German public is simply awesome, specially in Berlin. You know, it’s like playing football in Maracana Stadium! I also thought that Dutch public is the most similar to the German, so I definitely love the Netherlands, yesss!

Did you ever work together with a dutch DJ/producer?
I have some Dutch dj friends, I have remixed them and also have been remixed by them. But on the other hand,  I never have made any track alongside them…But hey! The world didn’t over last December 21, so we still have time to make some tracks, why not?

Talking about The Netherlands, how did you come in contact with Elevator Passion?  
Mmm we met through Facebook. I think Lisa and Cenk knew me because of my track “DurumFalafel”. One day Lisa told me about Elevator Passion and their parties. She told me that she likes my music and in the future would like me to play  in one of their parties.

 Some months later I was playing in one of their parties and some time later I joined Elevator Passion. I’m pleased to be part of their Agency. They  are great professionals and specially very nice people.

Thanks! We are happy to have you! A collaboration between Elevator Passion and yourself can only be elevating right? ;)
Yesss! The elevetor only goes up up and up. There is no down buttom!!! hahaha

Besides producing you also give lessons, is that right? Can you tell me more about this, which artist are in your class? Un-know, upcoming, or known artist?
Yes, I also work as electronic music production teacher. I give courses in a pair of studios in my city Valencia. All my students are from my area and most of them are dj’s, yes.  Some of my students are starting to release their first ep’s and have a really nice sound. Seeing their evolution is very satisfactory and I’m very proud of them.

Are you an autodidact or did you also take lessons?
I have practiced and tried to learn a lot alone, but I also studied superior studies of “Sound” in Spain. As result of it, my  production skills improved a lot and still keep on improving every day.

Nowadays some guys think that making music is just fitting some loops with your DAW…but  is very important to have a good knowledge of sound design to really get a good sound in your productions. It’s not necessary to study sound engineering, but this kind of courses like mine or Unis Academy in Amsterdam really help.


In total you made a lot of remixes, solo productions and productions in collaboration with other Djs. Also throught a lot of record labels as Kling Klong, Plastic City, Suara, Material Series, Nite Grooves and Parquet. But can you tell me your one and only favourite track or collaboration with a record label??
This is a hard question. It’s like answering to a father who is his favorite son or daughter hahaha. I’m very proud of all my tracks, all them show my feelings of that moment and also my evolution through the time. But mmm, maybe my album on Plastic City is my favorite son, you know? An album is always harder and longer to produce than an ep and is one step beyond in a producer career.

Afterall, it’s going super well with you at the moment. What are your new goals for 2013, new labels, producing, playing abroad??
2012 has been one of my best years so far. I have played around the Globe, published eps on top labels and released my first album.  I hope to continue in 2013 with this hot streak and my career keeps on elevating with passion.

 Beside all these question if got some left. There are so much intressting things happening around you!
I heard you A&R manager of my little dog, right? since how long are you doing this?
Yes, I’m the A&R of My Little Dog Records since the beginning of the label, in 2008. Since a pair of years ago, I’m also the owner of the label, alongside Sergio Parrado.

How did you involve with my little dog and became A&R?
Sergio Parrado had a label called Minijack. Then he stopped the label and started My Little Dog. He asked me to be in charge of the digital releases while he was in charge of the vinyl ones. With the time I started to be the A&R while he took care of another label matters.

How do you choose the music for your label?
Easy, the oracle guides me with his legendary knoweledge! hahaha

No, really…It’s like when you are looking for music. You check out a huge bunch of tracks, and when you find a groove that you like, you feel is good in seconds, isn’t? So in this case is the same

We recieve a lot of demos every day. I check them all and make a pre selection of the ones I liked at first listening. Then I check them again and again during different days, until being sure that the tracks are perfect for us.

Is there a criteria what you use?
No, I listen all the tracks we recieve with the same interest. I don’t care about who is the artist, or if he is known or not.
 
I also heard that my little dog is opening a booking agency can you tell me how you started this, what your doing and what your future perspective is?
 Yes, I like how you have described it, because we are not a label making bookings. We have created an agency called MLD Bookings. We did it because we felt the need to go one step beyond and make our musical project even bigger. Our idea is making a family of friends and good producers, release their music and also taking care of their gigs as they deserve. We are djs and know what djs and clubs need.

 We manage some artists in Spain and another ones in Europe. The agency just started but we are very happy with the first results.
We have on board very good djs such as Martin Eyerer, Arnaud LeTexier, Ronan Portela, Tony Dee, Pawas, Dole & Kom, Kike Mayor and of course, Oscar Barila and Sergio Parrado.

Check out our web for more info www.mylittledog.org


Nicole











No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers